Monday, June 18, 2012

Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole ***

I've been craving wild rice lately, for some reason, so I went on Pinterest in search of something new.  True to form for Paula's recipes, this one is laden with butter.  Honestly, I would probably cut the butter in the rice down by at least half and then saute the onions and green peppers in olive oil.  I used two lbs of shrimp, because I had an extra bag that I wanted to use up.  I started mine from frozen, so I just boiled them for a little while longer.  I really don't think that a pound would have been enough.  We love shrimp, so I didn't want it to be too rice-y.  This is definitely a good dish, but it's so very rich.  I'd like to experiment with it a little more and see how it is without the cream soup.  I'll definitely be cutting back the butter next time, though.
Photo courtesy of Food TV

SHRIMP AND WILD RICE CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Paula Deen)

1 (8-ounce) package wild rice
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (10 3/4-ounce can) condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
Salt and pepper

Cook the rice according to package directions minus 1/4 cup water. Drain and cool.
Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 tablespoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and cook the shrimp for 1 minute. Drain immediately and set aside.
Heat the butter in saucepan and saute the pepper and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, soup, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, shrimp and vegetables. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well. Spray a 9-inch square aluminum cake pan or an 11 by 7-inch glass casserole dish with vegetable spray. Place the mixture in the pan and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
*Amy's notes: I used 2 lbs of frozen medium shrimp.

No comments: